Saturday, August 15, 2009

tea bone zen mind

teabonezenmind
teabonezenmind (7)teabonezenmind (6)


Walking up a long flight of stairs to the upper floor of a non-descriptor shophouse along Seah Street, one encounters a kitchen-like space, a row of green wooden cabinets lined against the wall with two old fashion kitchen sinks on one end and a counter extending from the other. The sounds of bossa nova breezes through the space. The music is laced with the hum of friendly banter, interjected with the intermittent clinking of glassware. The air is tinged with the bouquet of tea. The place is Tea Bone Zen Mind, a tea cafe nestled in the middle of a row of shophouses among offices, clan associations and a too-cool-for-you boutique hotel. Walking further in, the space is filled with light flooding through the french windows, a giant pot holding a lone, wispy, over-manicured tree centres the space. Cushy sofas are arranged around the giant pot, where Japanese expat wives sip tea, discussing the latest issue of Mangosteen Club. This is a secret hideout for the leisurely

This place defined my experience of matcha- the whisked type served in a rustic ceramic bowl, not those from a packet. I have never had matcha at any other places in Singapore nor do I know of any that exists. I order it almost every time I come, like a ritual that I find comfort in. The smooth foamy body is reassuringly present, the green bitterness induces contemplation, the sweetness implied. The matcha always comes with sweets and a Japanese pastry which is different every time. You can probably deduce some kind of higher metaphysical meanings of life from this, but I enjoy it purely for the element of surprise. This time, I had (i think) a cherry blossom rice cake wrapped in a slightly yellowed leave. The leave tasted somewhat medicinal, though pleasantly so when combined with the sweetness of the pastry. I am always instructed to eat the sweets before drinking the matcha. Those are instructions I always flout, as if trying to tinkle with a frayed bit of the Japanese fabric of society.

The cafe also serves a delicious tea egg. Stewed in a savory tea-soy gravy, the egg is stained brown but retains a golden liquid yolk that is heavenly with the slightly sweet gravy. Another item on the menu that seems to be popular is the cucumber sandwich, which I have never tried nor do I see the appeal of. Perphaps it just means that I need to order it on my next visit, along with a bowl of matcha.

teabonezenmind (8)teabonezenmind (5)teabonezenmind (4)
teabonezenmind (3)teabonezenmind (1)teabonezenmind (2)

tea bone zen mind
38A Seah Street

No comments:

Post a Comment