Sunday, November 15, 2009

bape singapore

bapesingapore
Had a little WTF moment when I saw this while walking down Orchard Road last night. This impending arrival of A Bathing Ape in Singapore has taken me a little by surprise, having heard no news about its opening before chancing upon it (I pride myself on being updated with the local retail scene), and the choice of the location in a shopping arcade along a major shopping street. The popularity of Bape has waned considerably since its height during the early 2000s, especially in Japan where it no longer has the same cred nor mystique as it once had; and it is making moves into markets where there is still a somewhat behind-the-curve following.

While I have no interest in the products nor do I associate with the culture surrounding the brand, I do enjoy, in a detached way, the interiors of the various A Bathing Ape stores designed by Wonderwall which I assume will be doing the Singapore store too.

Further down the road, a uniqlo megastore will open at 313somerset in a couple of weeks, which I am also hoping to be designed by Wonderwall who has done the New York flagship and the london Oxford Street stores.

2 comments:

  1. I'm picturing an alternate reality where you're earnestly jonesing on a pair of Lime green/hot pink Bapestas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my alter ego wears Bapestas (out of a collection of colours more vast than a pantone chart)with a shark hoodie and BBC dog-on-crotch jeans, when I'm away from superfuture.

    ReplyDelete